These are a new generation of wireless ultra-low power tracking devices for monitoring animals (amongst other things) that feature:
- Multiple supported sensor streams using a consistent API
- 3-D acceleration
- 3-D compass
- Light level
- Magnetic field strength (used for Magneto-Inductive positioning)
- Proximity to other animals
- Lightweight, dictionary free, compression algorithm
- Adaptive sensor sampling
- Robust and reliable wireless data transfer
- Continuous monitoring (3-6 months at 8-16 Hz sampling rates)
These have been used on a number of species (lions, badgers, swans, hares, eagles) to obtain data on a scale and scope previously impossible. Below is a picture showing a lion equipped with one of our wireless accelerometer devices, which runs for 6 months, collecting over 700 million samples per animal.
Click the graph below to open (in a new window) an interactive exploration of an hour of accelerometer data captured from one of our deployments.